Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Manicure At Alexander

My big toe nail have been giving me problems for the past two weeks.

Part of it was losen and the base was very firmly attached to my flesh. The other day on the bus my toenail hooked onto somebody's shoe soles and tore. But not completely.

Started bleeding. Applied some medicine and thought was okay. Today hook onto my jeans while wearing them. Started bleeding again. Therefore decided to go ask doctor to remove it after tuition. Imagine if I dont and one day in some public place it hooks onto something and tore completely with blood and flesh being splattered.

Go polyclinic. Doctor said must go Alexander Hospital. So took taxi down.

At Alexander hospital the doctor didnt want to remove the whole toenail. So he tried to cut the deformed part.

The toenail was too thick and even with a mechanical scissors the doctor stuggled with my toenail and caused me pain.

In the end I think he is quite 'dulan' and also he wanted to go home already. So he gave up cutting my nails and declared it is time to plug it out completely.

The whole process was very horrific even though I was lying down and didnt witness it.

First the doctor applied local anesthetia on the big toe. The needle poking was really painful but I didnt want to embarass myself so I keep very quiet.

After that he took some sort of medical equipment and started to poke the toe. He asked 'How?'

I said 'I can still feel the toe' with a sort of doubtful trembling voice. The doctor started laughing.

Then he said 'here goes' and he started to pull the toe nail. It was painful and I grabbed on to the bar of the bed, making sounds like 'Si.....Si' throughout the ordeal. Wanted to scold bad words but decided against it because I didnt want to look like some low class uncle from Toa Payoh Lorong 2.

When the nail was about 90 percent out, he use a small knife to cut abit of my flesh to completely detach the nail. I could feel the knife go through and I could feel pain again. I gripped onto the bar even harder.

Like I was going to give birth.

He gave some final pull and the nail came out. But I didnt know it was out and still continue to grip on to the bar. The doctor asked 'How' and then I said 'its quite painful'

Then he said 'You can let go of the bar now. Its over' Then he burst out into laughter again.

Then he still asked 'Want to have a look?' Then I went 'Its okay' because I could feel that it was bloody and gross. He started laughing again.

Damn. Embarass myself in front of a doctor. Like a coward of life.

The doctor reminded me of my friend James. Imagine if it was really James or Guanhong (medicine student) or anybody else I know. It would have been so laughable and more embarassing.

The manicure experience at AH was scary. I hope no need to go through it again.

These few days will be hobbling around in slippers so please walk slowly to accomodate me.

Thanks

0 Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home