Monday, February 06, 2006

I Not Stupid Too

Today went to watch Jack Neo's latest film: I Not Stupid Too

By the way, I saw the movie trailer for 'X-Men 3' and all i did throughout the trailer was shout 'Whoo-hoo' and 'whoa' and 'arhhhhhhh!!' It is my 5th most anticipated film of the year.....

Anyway, back to the main topic, I went to watch the sequel to Jack Neo's 2003 film, 'I Not Stupid' It was a huge success, and I thought it was quite good..... but that is another story

Anyway, throughout the movie, I saw typical traits of a Jack Neo film: The usual preachy script, a movie consisting of situational skits, a dose of humour, a odd self-composed song halfway through the show and the usual happy ending.....

This time round, Mr Neo has overemphasize all his trademarks to the point where I felt sick watching the show. Throughout the show I was going: 'AIYOH! TSK TSK TSK' all the time

1st of all, his script was very preachy.... always trying to tell the audiences what is the correct thing to do.... Typical of Jack Neo films but yet this time he has done it so directly that the preaching stares you directly in the face....I feel that there is a very fineline between telling people what you believe through films and preaching through your films.... Jack Neo sometimes or most of the times loses sight of the fine line.....

Secondly, you could tell his origin from television.... In his early days as a comedian, he does situational skits best. Famous examples are like 'Liang Po Po' and 'Liang Si Mei' In his movies, he likes to use situational skits as well to carry the story..... Even in 'Home Run' where he adapts iranian film 'Children of Heaven' he couldnt escape the usual mold that he uses to narrate the story... In this film, the entire movie was based on many many situational skits joined together.... abit like a theatre production with many stories joined up into one show by a set of characters. He has broken the entire plot into fragmented skits that I am watching 'Comedy Night' on film

One good point about the film was that Jack has managed to film the emotional scenes quite well..... the sad scenes were quite well done that it had moved me to tears, and a whole lot of other people I believe. This can be credited to the well written lines of those scenes, as well as the acting of the cast.... However, I couldnt understand why Jack Neo had to interject his emotional scenes with humour, at the most odd parts somemore.... When you watch the film you would want to cry then suddenly the movie make you laugh again because of some stupid thing done by the characters..... This is most strange of a script

Anyway, the movie was further marred by apparent product placement, which was something I thought was quite unprofessional of a film..... The products were placed in obvious scenes and places and situations that the audience couldnt miss it...... I think it would be the reason why his films will never get awards.... product placements make directors look as if he does not treat his films seriously

The humour sometimes felt forced....Not as funny as the first film nor 'The Best Bet'. However, it is still quite well orchestrated and is expected of Jack Neo

The cast can act, although I wouldnt say that Shawn or Joshua, the two male protaganists did outstandingly well.... There was not much of a breakthrough, and sometimes I feel the acting can be much better. The best cast member was Selena Tan, who with her body language and facial expressions can convey messages as well as induce laughter... Huang Yiliang did his usual best.... but is restricted by the script.... Sometimes, I feel that the screen was overcrowded by cast members. Many different skits require alot of people.... so reduce the screen time of better people

Jack Neo tried to do something new this time. He tried to mix abit of edginess into his film.... If I havent watch Royston Tan '15' I would praise Jack but since I have watched the feature, the best I can say is that Jack Neo is at best the copy of Royston Tan

Despite the many flaws that the film has I wouldnt say that Jack Neo did badly.... He did okay, but could have been better... Perhaps the first step he must take is to break out of the preaching mode as well as the situation skit type of script that he has been writing....

The phenomenal success of this film at the box office only speak volumes about the film literacy of the general population... They enjoy a film where its loopholes have been masked by its fancy humour and the director's reputation from his first few films

All I want to say is 'I Not Stupid'

2 Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home